- Search This Site All UCSD Sites Faculty/Staff Search Term
- Meet the Dean
- Meet the Team
- Funding Opportunities
- Alumni & Friends
- Prospective Students
- Degree Programs
- Admitted Students
- Admission FAQ
- Compliance/Health and Safety Information
- Tuition & Fees
- Third-Party Payments
- Non-UC Visiting Grads
- Financial Support FAQ
- News & Updates
- Progress to Degree
- Enrolling at UC San Diego
Preparing to Graduate
- Policies & Procedures
- Student Academic FAQ
- Merkin Graduate Fellows Program
- Student Updates
- Health & Wellbeing
- Professional Development
- Student Spotlights
- Programs and Resources
- Postdoctoral Affairs
- Dissertation & Thesis Template
As a resource for graduate students, sample Word templates are available to assist with the initial formatting of doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Students are expected to fully format their dissertation/thesis according to the " Preparation and Submission Manual for Doctoral Dissertations and Master's Theses ".
- This template is a starting point and students may have to add or remove sections/text to accurately reflect their document and adhere to all requirements in the manual.
- Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs (GEPA) does not provide technical support for any of the templates below.
- If using these templates, students must still refer to the formatting manual for full instructions.
The below templates are in Word. If you prefer to use LaTeX, here is a recommended unofficial template . We are not able to provide technical support for LaTeX.
Note: opening the Word template in Google Docs may cause auto-formatting features to be lost or auto-formatting features may appear differently.
A sample template of a co-author permission letter and cover letter from the committee chair can be found here . For complete information on submission of permission letters, please see this page and/or refer to the full Manual .
Master’s Degree Thesis
Doctoral Degree Dissertation
- Degree Completion
- Dissertation & Thesis Submission
- Dissertation & Thesis Manual
Graduate College Formatting Guide
- Page Numbers (Microsoft Word)
- Page Numbers (Google Docs)
- Page Breaks and Section Breaks
- Headings, Subheadings, and Table of Contents (Microsoft Word)
- Headings, Subheadings, and Table of Contents (Google Docs)
- Inserting Tables and Figures
- Comments and Track Changes
- References, Bibliography, Works Cited
- Landscape Pages & Special Materials
Thesis & Dissertation Templates
Please select either the Word template or the Google Docs template. It is recommended that you do not switch between Word and Google Docs but select one and use that for the entirety of the process. Comments and tracked changes are located throughout the templates to assist in completing the requirements. The other sections in this guide will provide tips to make the formatting process easier.
Already started working with the old formatting requirements? Contact [email protected] for assistance.
The current Dean of the Graduate College is Dr. Stephanie Huffman.
Microsoft Word Template
- Graduate Studies Thesis & Dissertation Word Template Use this to format your thesis/dissertation correctly when using Microsoft Word
Google Docs Template*
Make a copy of the Google Doc. It will not allow you to edit it. Do not request access, please follow the instructions below.
- Graduate Studies Thesis & Dissertation Google Docs Template Use this to format your thesis/dissertation correctly when using Google Docs
Select FILE > MAKE A COPY
From the copy document pop up: Select copy comments and suggestions
- << Previous: Home
- Next: Page Numbers (Microsoft Word) >>
- Last Updated: Feb 9, 2024 9:42 AM
- URL: https://guides.lib.uni.edu/grad-college-format
APA and MLA templates for Google Docs
Here are two Google Docs templates you can use for APA or MLA formatted papers. The templates are View Only, so you will need to make a copy if you want to use one. Click the Use Template button in the upper right corner to make a copy.
These templates have headers, page numbers, margins, fonts and line spacing already set up for you. Just make a copy and type over the filler text.
APA Template Google Doc
MLA Template Google Doc
References and Citations
Google Docs also has a Citation tool to help you format your bibliography and in-text citations. You can find it in the menu under Tools=>Citations . Here is a short video showing the process:
- Cecil C. Tyrrell Library SUNY Broome Community College 907 Upper Front Street, Binghamton, NY 13905
- Circulation: 607-778-5020
- Reference: 607-778-5043
Ask A Librarian
- Call Us: 607-778-5043
- Chat with a Librarian
- Email a Librarian
- Schedule a Research Appointment
- Accessibility Resources Office
- Campus Map/Parking
- CTE Perkins Technology Chat Help
- Online Learning
- Student Tech Help